After getting a feel for the week in my guide to the Yacht Week Greece, anyone who is interested will need some advice on what to pack when heading to spend a week in tight quarters on a boat! Since there isn’t much room, it’s best to pack the least amount possible, just a backpack. Don’t bother bringing a million pairs of shoes or clothes because you will spend most of your time in a bathing suit and wearing one pair of sandals!
We also weren’t sure what there was for power on the boat, since most reviews said that there were only cigarette lighters. We had the lowest end boat, and we had regular plugs (that only had power when we were connected at a marina). For charging phones, we had a radio with 3 USB plugins, so we didn’t need anything that required a cigarette lighter plugin. Most boats were the same.
Also make sure to split big things between your crew (shampoo & conditioner, sunscreen etc) so there is more room.
- 5-6 bathing suits (most important)
- 1 pair of boat shoes, 1 pair of sandals, and one pair of running shoes if you want – I wore a pair to the marina and did not wear them the entire week
- 3 flowy & light tank tops
- 2 pairs of shorts – you can re-wear
- 3 dresses
- A white outfit – for the white party!
- Regatta costumes – think of something light, easy, and cool. We went with Canada flag bathing suits which were a hit!
- An extra towel – there are towels on the boat but nice to have an extra
- Chargers for your phone, camera
- A cool floaty for the float party!
- Decorations for your yacht (i.e. Christmas lights, a country flag, etc)
- Ear plugs if you’re a light sleeper
- Gravol – good for hangovers and seasickness
- Outlet Adapter – I suggest this one
Things to leave behind:
- A ton of makeup – it’s very hot and your makeup will melt off! stick to the basics
- Hairdryers etc – some girls brought their curling irons, personally it was too hot for me to bother
- High Heels – getting on and off the boats is a pain in the ass as is, let alone wearing heels!
- A book – you won’t be getting much reading done, trust me.
- Anything expensive like sunglasses or valuable jewelry – most of the time the yacht is unlocked at the marinas and being around water, you could drop your sunglasses!
Even after reading tips online, I still packed too much. I was mostly worried about not being able to charge my electronics. It turned out to be a non-issue, so don’t worry too much about that. Like I said, most of the time will be spent in your bathing suit around the water, so you won’t need much else!
On a separate note, there is wifi to find quite easily at all of the ports. It is usually not great, but good enough to message your family and friends and get back to the Yacht Week adventures!! Have a blast!